How To Wash Your Berber Rug - Step by Step Instruction
Your rug got dirty? You want to wash it to get a completely refreshed and clean rug? That`s no problem, take around one or two hours of your time. Very important to know in the beginning, you should dry the rug outside - for example on your balcony. So be aware, that you have a look into the weather forecast and it says that the next 2-3days will be sunny.
What do you need?
- A bucket, if possible a big one
- A soft brush
- (Wool) laundry detergent
- Lukewarm water
- Fabric softener
Ok let`s go step by step through the cleaning process:
- Prepare a bucket of lukewarm water and mix it with wool laundry detergent. Use 10 cups of water for one cup of laundry detergent.
- Before you start with the washing, shake your rug to get rid of the dust.
- Place the rug into a bathtub (don`t forget to put a sieve) or on a terrace for example. If the ground is not clean, put a big plastic under the rug. Wherever you can pour water, you can wash your rug.
- The rug is now ready for its treatment. Pour the prepared bucket with water and laundry detergent over the rug.
- Now you can use the soft brush to carefully massage the soap into the rug. Focus on dirty spots on the rug.
- After that you get more water without laundry detergent and you pour a generous amount of water over the rug that the soap leaves the rug.
- Role the rug in to get rid of water and role it out again to continue.
- Now it`s time for the fabric softener. There fore you use your hands! Not the brush. Try to reach each corner, each knot of the rug.
- Clean the rug now from the fabric softener – use again a generous amount of water and pour it over the rug.
- Roll the rug in again to make it loose water.
- Now your rug needs to dry – do not use a hair dryer. Best is sunlight. Hang it outside.
- After one to three days your fresh washed rug is ready. As the Moroccan Rugs are made out of untreated wool, it is possible that the wool has a certain smell. But no worries, that goes away after a few days.
If you have any questions, don`t hesitate to write a comment or also let me know how your washing-process went, if you`ve tried.